Founded in 1982, Roederer Estate winery is nestled in Mendocino County’s cool, fog-shrouded Anderson Valley. As the Californian outpost of Champagne Louis Roederer, Quartet builds upon a centuries-old tradition of fine winemaking and has established a reputation as one of California’s premier sparklers.
There are four distinct vineyards on the estate – hence the name Quartet – from which all the grapes are sourced.
The grapes are the same as used in Champagne – Chardonnay and Pinot Noir.
100% estate grown, the blend comprises 60% Chardonnay and 40% Pinot Noir – the opposite proportions from those used in Roederer’s NV Champagne, Brut Premier.
Quartet is crisp and elegant with complex pear, spice and hazelnut flavours. It is fresh and lightly fruity with great finesse and depth of flavour.
Coates & Seely is the joint venture of ex London financier Nicholas Coates and Christian Seely, MD of AXA Millésimes, the French insurance giant’s wine division that includes such notable names as Château Suduiraut, Château Petit-Village & Noval Port.
The 20 hectares or so of vineyards are sited on the North Hampshire Downs whose chalk soils are ideal for vine cultivation being the northern extension of the geology that forms the vineyard areas of the Champagne region of northern France. The three classic grape varieties of Champagne, Pinot Noir, Chardonnay and Pinot Meunier are grown and the winery has only the finest of equipment imported mainly from France.
“Britagne”, a generic name coined by Coates & Seely to indicate top quality English sparkling wine, can only be made from Pinot Noir, Pinot Meunier and Chardonnay grapes, where the second fermentation takes place in bottles. Just as top French sparkling wines are made by the Méthode Traditionnelle, so their English counterparts are made under the ‘Méthode Britannique’.
65% Chardonnay 35% Pinot Noir
Pale gold in appearance with a fine mousse of tiny bubbles. The nose is fresh with green apple and citrus zest notes. The palate is full and rounded without being overblown, flavours of apple and elderflower lead to a long and elegant finish balanced with fine acidity.
The Roederer Estate Rosé is a blend of 56% Pinot Noir and 44% Chardonnay. For colour, a small portion (3-5%) of Pinot Noir wine that has undergone an extended maceration is added to the blend before the secondary fermentation, imparting a subtle salmon tinge. The second fermentation in the bottle lasts for a minimum of 24 months.
As with all Roederer Estate wines, the Brut Rosé is comprised of 100 percent estate-grown grapes with about 10-20% of the blend being oak-aged reserve wines from the Estate’s cellars.
The Roederer Estate Brut Rosé is full and round with smooth flavours and fine persistent bubbles. The Pinot Noir is eveident both on the nose and the palate – the Chardonnay contributes elegance and austerity, which balance nicely with the delicate fruitiness of the Pinot Noir.
This estate makes some of Italy’s finest sparkling wines from its 200 hectares of vineyard situated in the western part of the Franciacorta zone in a natural amphitheatre. Here the glacial soil is full of stones, so providing the ideal environment for the Pinot Noir and Chardonnay grapes used in the production of Bellavista’s Franciacorta.
All work in the vineyards is carried out manually. The grapes (72% Chardonnay & 28% Pinot Noir) are from vines with an average age of over 25 years.
Individual parcels are specially selected for the blend. Made in the ‘traditional method’, 30% of the wines that make up this Vintage Brut are fermented and matured for at least seven months in small oak barrels, the remaining 70% is vinfied in stainless steel. The wine is then blended and bottled and the yeast and sugar for the tirage are added to set off the second fermentation. The wines are aged on lees for a minimum of 5 years after which remuage is carried out by a team of five riddlers. The elegant bottles are designed by the Murano glass factory in Venice.
Bellavista Vintage Brut is a vibrant green gold colour with an exuberant yet fine mousse. The nose has finesse and complexity. Crisp floral notes of hawthorn and bay leaf support ripe white fruits. Dry and elegant on the palate, with ripe fruit and touches of incense. The silky texture and firm backbone are balanced perfectly with fresh acidity. Floral hints and white fruits linger on the finish.
Copyright 2014 | Richard Granger Fine Wine Merchants