your ads here

advertisement

"Riva Ranch" Chardonnay 2014, Wente, Arroyo Seco, Monterey, 14.5% vol, 75cl

“Riva Ranch” Chardonnay 2014, Wente, Arroyo Seco, Monterey, 14.5% vol, 75cl

Availability: In stock

SKU : USW6

£20.58

In 1883, C. H. Wente, a first-generation immigrant from Germany, purchased 47 acres in the Livermore Valley . Recognizing that the warm days, cool nights and gravelly soils of the Livermore Valley were ideal for growing grapes, he planted vines and founded Wente Vineyards.  Over 130 years later, Wente Family Estates continue to be family owned and operated by the fourth and fifth generation Wente’s.

 

This Single Vineyard Chardonnay is sourced exclusively from Wente’s Riva Ranch Vineyard in Arroyo Seco, Monterey.  Arroyo Seco is widely regarded as one of the best places in California to grow Chardonnay. The cool growing season with the deep gravelly soil ripen the Chardonnay  perfectly, which gives a natural balance of sugar and acidity.

 

To compliment the rich flavours, most of the wine (90%) is barrel fermented in a combination of new and 2nd use French and American oak barrels. Batonnage, the art of stirring the barrels, is performed every three weeks. This adds a creamy note to the wine and greatly enhances the texture. The remaining 10% is stainless steel fermented, which delivers crisp fruit flavours.

 

The wine was aged “sur lie” for 8 months in French, American, and Eastern European wood of varying ages. The barrels were stirred monthly.

 

Riva Ranch is a beautifully rich, yet balanced style of Chardonnay that represents what the Arroyo Seco appellation has to give. In addition to the classic Chardonnay aromas of apple and pear, Arroyo Seco consistently delivers aromas of tropical fruits and stone fruits. This is distinctly a California style of Chardonnay, but is consistently well balanced with ample acidity.

Categories: , . Tag: .